It’s Saturday! And I’m ready to spend some much-need quality time in the public domain.
So I was reading up on Africa’s animals and ecology and fell down another rabbit hole.
I whipped up this post from my pile of vintage scraps at home, an African scenery book from 1804, and a vintage zoological journal. These images span early to mid-late 19th century, putting them in the public domain.
Of my scraps, several are originally from old cigarette boxes and advertisements for everyday objects.
5 Awesome Projects You Can Do with Free Safari Illustrations
Animal Alphabet Flashcards
Print-Your-Own Animal Wrapping Paper
DIY Safari Greeting Cards for Birthday Parties
Hidden Picture Games and Artwork
DIY Shrinky Dinks!
5 Things You Didn’t Know About Zebras
- There are three species of zebra: Burchell’s zebra (also know as a plains zebra), Grevy’s zebra, and the Equus zebra.
- So why do zebras have stripes? There have been several theories, but recent studies reveal that stripes may have evolved to keep zebras cool.
- Zebras will often socialize with antelope herds for protection.
- Like your fingerprints, no two zebras will have the same stripes.
- Each zebra species has their own stripe patterns, varying in width. Zebras that live on the southern plains have stripes that are further apart.
Get 15 more fascinating facts on zebras from the Mother Nature Network!
More Free Resources About African Animals and Ecology
The web is packed with free resources on African animals, ecology, environment, safari, and more. Bookmark the following for your next project.
- Africa’s Most Iconic Safari Animals
- Database of African Animals
- Free African Animal Flashcards
- Meet Africa’s Golden Jackal
- Free Photos of African Animals
- Free Stock Photos of Lions
- The Wildebeest Migration
- Free ebooks About Animals